About the Library Building Project
The Skaneateles Library Board of Trustees is planning for the library’s future by finding a new location for the library and retaining the current building for community use.
After many years of analysis and deliberation, we’ve arrived at this two-part approach that will allow us to honor the ideals of the community and provide the level of service our community expects: we can preserve our past, while building our future:
- Build a right-sized library for this community using community input, library needs assessment and comparable data.
- Bring new life to our current building to preserve its ambiance, support our downtown neighbors and provide space for the Barrow Art Gallery.
Several committees are working on a potential site for the library and the current building’s short and long term needs. Community members can find the most accurate and timely information about the library’s plans on our website.
Values Guiding Our Work:
Serving 9,000 residents in the Skaneateles School District, the library is an inclusive space where individuals and groups come to engage in activities, programs and resources that enhance their lives.
We are working to realize our vision to be the cultural and informational hub of our vibrant, thriving community by creating spaces and experiences that are:
- Comfortable, accessible, functional space; the community’s living room
- Accommodate users’ various space needs: quiet and loud, solitary and social, learning and teaching
- Fully ADA compliant building and property
- Collections and services that support learning, creativity and fun for all members of the community
- Programs for all ages that reflect current interests and exploration of new ideas
- Forums for local organizations through collaborative programs and meeting spaces
- Flexible spaces that allow for change in future services and needs
- Efficient staffing and building systems for stable operational costs and long-term financial health
- Practices, materials and systems that protect the environment, our collections, staff and patrons